African Garden + Rose

Photo of the Week: Riverside garden, Salisbury

My first trip to England was everything I'd hoped for, but also a bit of a surprise. My family and I left cool, rainy Chicago and arrived in warm, sunny England on the Fourth of July. In honor of our country's Independence Day, we traveled to Salisbury to see an original copy (I know, it sounds like an oxymoron) of Magna Carta, a foundation for our Constitution. After dinner, we strolled back to our B&B along the Avon River, where I spied this charming little garden on the bank across the river. It has the ubiquitous roses (I don't think I saw a garden in England without one), sheared box, and trailing Campanula of some sort. But the thing that really makes this little vignette is the garden seat with the dog-head arm rest. Utterly charming.