African Garden + plants

Take down the wallpaper Hamish, we're moving!
view from our new front door

I have a big announcement to make: after nearly 20 years, my family and I are leaving Squirrelhaven and moving to the Yucatan in Mexico. Why Mexico, you ask? Two words: no squirrels.

coatis on the beach (well, at least they're not squirrels)

I've had it, I'm fed up. I just can't garden any longer under these conditions with the squirrels digging up absolutely everything I plant.
Okay, that's not the only reason. First, we need a bigger house, and property is too expensive in the Chicago area. Our kids are teenagers now, and the boy has a habit of staying up all night on weekends, and we need to have bedrooms further away from each other and the living spaces.
Second, Bicycle Man ("Hamish"), has decided to quit his job and pursue his dream of reveling in his Scottish heritage and becoming a professional bagpiper. He's got the kilt and he just bought the pipes and is learning to play. We figure that the competition will be less fierce in Mexico than in the Chicago area. As the cost of living in Mexico is less, he'll be able to make a living and we'll still be able to send our kids to college.
True, the girl will have to give up Irish dancing, but she's excited about learning Mayan folk dancing.

Who doesn't want to dance with a spinning tray on their head?

And I won't even miss the snow.

It's going to be a great. I won't have to worry about the boy driving in snowy and icy conditions when he gets his driver's license next year.
I'm looking forward to this wonderful challenge. I already have the name for my new garden picked out: April Fools!

The one truth here is that Hamish is going to buy bagpipes and learn to play them. We're proof that there is such a thing as true love and soul mates, as I support this idea because I actually like bagpipe music. Besides, I think it's a good defense against Boomerang Children. We may not have battlements, but he can still pipe at 6 a.m. every morning.
(Top and third images were taken at Chichen Itza; the others were taken at the Iberostar resort in Playa del Carmen.)