African Garden + water

Trouble in Paradise

Remember when I was filled with optimism about the garden, way back in April? How I wrote the prophetic words "inevitable garden disappointments"? Well, here they are. My beautiful Magnolia has scale. I was so disgusted, I scraped them all off (or all the ones I could reach) before I even thought to take a photo.

The tree needed a bit of pruning anyway, so I left these on the branch when I cut it off. The Magnolia had a serious scale infestation several years ago, because I failed to notice it until it was a disgusting problem. Thanks to Carol and her mention of wasps in conjunction with scale on a Magnolia, I discovered the problem as soon as it began. I caught it in time, and the Magnolia will be fine.

There's something wrong with this Symphyotricum laeve/Aster laevis 'Bluebird.'

I have no clue why this is happening, but it has happened before. I'm pretty sure the plant will be fine if I just remove this part.

The outlook for this plant is not as good.

This is the one Actaea/Cimicifuga simplex 'Black Negligee' that bloomed last year. All the other Actaeas look better than ever. I can't figure out what is wrong. It will be coddled with extra compost and water.

I don't know what is going on with this Echinacea purpurea.

The other Echinaceas around it are fine. Is it too dry?

I know what's wrong with this Echinacea and the one in the first photo. This distorted flower is not normal, it is the result of a disease. The entire plant must be destroyed. I'm going to remove the other Echinacea next to these as a precaution. I'll have to plant something else here instead. I'll put on my happy face and look at it as a gardening opportunity.
(I'm singing to myself Eric Idle's "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.")